Managing Uncertainty and Risk

Recently, whenever I start to think of the nearing future, post-college, I get very anxious and quickly try to focus on other things. There is a lot of uncertainty that comes with graduating college and entering the “real world” that I would rather disregard than contemplate. However, it is inevitable, so my parents and I have done a number of things throughout the years to manage some of this uncertainty. They have saved money in order to support me through my education and I have tried to chose viable paths to invest in.

I have never had a clear picture of what I wanted my life as an adult to look like. When I was a child, my dream jobs included everything from astronaut to interior designer. This uncertainty continued throughout high school and college, never fully knowing what I wanted to pursue. Luckily my parents have helped in managing my indecisiveness and have tried to steer me towards more risk averse options. 


The first big decision I had to make that would truly affect my future was selecting a university. However, I did not see it as such when I was deciding. I had not really considered what college I wanted to attend until it came time to applying. I started applying to colleges based on minimal online research and recommendations from friends and family. By doing well in high school, earning good grade and leadership positions, I knew I would have better options when it came to college. This was easy to do in my small high school, so I applied to many schools across the country, but I did not know what I wanted to study. So when there was no undeclared or general studies route, I applied to basically random programs at each college. I thought I would do alright at any college and I was really enjoying my time in high school, so this was not something I though about often. 


My decision, like many others, was ultimately based on the price. Because my generous parents are paying for my college, I did not have to worry about taking out loans or post-college debt. However, they used a prepaid tuition program that made U of I the least expensive choice. Saving money, especially at this degree, creates a buffer in risky situations. However, my lack of research and overall indifference did not work out for me. I struggled through my first year and a half at the university, not knowing what I wanted to study or join and feeling uncomfortable around campus. Planning and considering more factors of a college experience probably could have helped prevent this. 


After many internal debates about transferring schools, I decided to make this school work out and do what I can to set myself up better in the future. And with my family in mind, this was the best choice financially. I started working harder in my classes and tried joining many different clubs and organizations around campus. I decided on a major that I was interested in and would be useful in the job market after graduation. By joining clubs that I was interested in, I gained personal skills and connections.


It is hard not to picture other scenarios that could have been if I had planned better, but I can only make more informed decisions moving forward. I continue to pursue things that I enjoy and that will be worth the time and effort in the future. By gaining more knowledge and experience in a specific field, I am gaining more human capital and therefore reducing the uncertainty of my post-college future. 

Comments

  1. So, I also had no idea what I wanted to do after college. I stumbled into studying economics. It didn't come as the result of any plan. It was an accident. My only suggestion for you in whatever does come next is for you to put your all into it and not make a judgment about whether you like it or not for some time period (somewhere between 3 to 6 months). Do it as intensely as you can in the meantime. If, instead, you do it in a half-hearted way, it is guaranteed that you won't find the experience rewarding. That might still be the case even if you are fully engaged. But there is then the potential upside that you will get satisfaction from the work. You will also learn something about yourself and your ability to make such a strong commitment.

    The class seems split on those students whose parents paid for their college and those who have had to take out loans to finance the tuition. Those in the latter group are under more pressure to get a job that generates enough income and/or to live frugally after graduation. You have more freedom that way since your parents supported you in college. It is an advantage to leverage, by being a bit more experimental about what comes next.

    One of the things I've written in response to other students posts is that the first job likely won't be the last job, even if you do well in that first job. Anticipating that, being ready for the next job, by continuing to learn and develop your skills set, is a way to manage the risk that is inherent in the world of work. But you also have to learn about yourself and what sort of work would be a good fit for you. That is equally important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting that, among our small group of three diverse individuals, we all share this common thread of uncertainty regarding the future. I believe this is evidence that we care about our futures, or we wouldn't be worried. Each one of us has taken steps to mitigate risks, but each one of us started our collegiate path with quite a bit of confusion regarding our personal interests and future aspirations.

    Many aspects of your post resonated with me. All the decisions you have made regarding what university, major, and later which activities to partake in, have all been complicated by your uncertainty regarding the future. This is something I experienced as well, and it has been frustrating at times. There are so many things in life that can be rushed, planning your life just isn't one of them. I'm not sure if this is true for you, but the closer I get to the end of college, the less anxious I feel about the uncertainty that still remains in my life. We've made it this far, and I think post-graduation decisions will fall into place more easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Susan here, uncertainty upon entering college, and through the early years of it seems to be a common theme among the three of us. I suppose that's a heartening enough thought in-- we were all kids who legally couldn't make our own decisions three, four years ago, and now we're all looking at the light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not looking so bad. I, for one, take some comfort in seeing the future start to solidify, and I wish you luck in wherever life takes you next

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Opportunism

Team Production and Gift Exchange